To deliver on our mission in 2018 we have:
Our mission is to promote sustainable practices, renewable energy, and environmental responsibility in the way we work, play and live.
If you are interested in helping us deliver on our missions we invite you to attend our meetings and contribute and observe. We meet the first Wednesday of the month from 2:00-3:30p at the Cooperative Extension Office on Waterloo in Gardnerville.
- Presented Organic Certification in Nevada with Marcia and Steve Litsiniger which covered technical and financial assistance for certification, organic certification resources, debunking myths about organic certification and the history and philosophy of organic farming in Nevada’s Great Basin;
Presented Reinventing your Landscape-Managing Storm Water Runoff with Matt McMackin and John Cobourn;
- Co-sponsored with Citizens’ Climate Lobby the documentary film “Saving Snow” and panel discussion
with Bradley Crowell, Director of Nevada Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Dr Ben Hatchett,
Meteorologist from Reno’s Desert Research Institute and Andy Wirth, President & CEO of Squaw Valley and
Alpine Meadows Ski Resort;.
- Co-authored with the Carson Valley Chamber of Commerce an Op-Ed about the benefits to the Carson Valley
for investing is Solar Energy.
- Co-sponsored with Citizen’s Climate Lobby a panel of local experts on Climate Change is Affecting our
Health-What’s the cure?, with Dr. Tim Brown, Director of Western Regional Climate Center at Desert
Research Institute, Dr. Andrew Ness, Assistant Professor of Entomology at UNR and Dr. Stephanie McAfee,
Nevada Deputy State Climatologist and Assistant Professor of Geography at UNR.
Upcoming projects in the planning stages for 2019 include:
- Return of the Harvest Super-Locavore Dinner;
- Tour of the Green programs at Edgewood and Heavenly Ski Resorts;
- Carson Valley Geology Tour;
- Tour of Jacobs Family Barry Farm and Bella Vista Farm.